Thursday, April 06, 2006

Coca Cola Blak

According to Coke's press release "Coca-Cola Blāk is an invigorating and stimulating blend that has a perfect balance of the effervescent taste sensation of Coca-Cola and natural flavors, with real coffee. The lightly carbonated, mid-calorie beverage, which is designed to appeal to adult consumers, is yet another example how The Coca-Cola Company reaches out to new audiences and addresses new beverage occasions." Really? Well we'll see.
The can looks quite snazzy. It's a slim 25cl can with dark brown and gold blending up the outside. The Coca Cola logo obviously spoils it though.

So, having been seduced by the packaging, I cracked the ring pull of this new adult beverage expecting a waft of fresh coffee to tantalise my nostrils. It just smelt like Coke. The press release also claims that Blak has a "coffee like froth" when it's poured. It does indeed have a froth, but you wouldn't mistake it for a cappuccino.

So enough with the aesthetics, how does this stuff actually taste?
Frankly, bad. It tastes like Coke and coffee, which just is not a good thing whichever way you cut it. You can taste the Coke and there is a coffee flavour lurking round the edges of it. It's nothing subtle. In fact it's one of the worst things I've ever drunk, and believe me I've got a high tolerance for this kind of rubbish.
Thankfully, this drink is currently only available in France and America. I can't see the French taking to this stuff at all. I definately didn't want to dip my croissant into it. Yeuchh.
Coca Cola Blak has a funky website here

2 Comments:

At 8:16 PM, Blogger Lisa Chumney said...

Greetings. Not to get on a "look at me" soap box, I had this idea two years ago in school for a ficticious branded product. http://www.chumneyvisualdesigns.com/Portfolio_files/frame.htm
It is in part of my portfolio on my site.
I am not sure that the real concept is going to take off for Coke. I was going for the actual product saleability (is that a word?), but for the design of the product and advertising. So here we are with the real thing with Coke. I am willing to try it but will only do that once. We will see. Take care.

 
At 1:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, the man who came up with the idea for coffee cream chocolates now has a job at Coca Cola? Who say's you can't fool all the people all of the time?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home