Saturday, November 18, 2006

Breakfast at IHOP

Every time I come to the States my Wife insists on eating breakfast at International House Of Pancakes (IHOP) as many times as possible whilst we're there as she adores the thick fluffy pancakes that they serve.We both opted for the coffee which is unlimited and not too bad. My wife then ordered something called the split decision which is ideal for someone like her who dithers endlessly over menus, unable to choose between the various dishes on offer. The split decision offers a bit of everything. You get; 2 pancakes, 2 pieces of bacon, 2 pieces of french toast, 2 eggs (over easy) and two link sausages.
My order was just a short stack (3 pancakes) and an English muffin. English muffins are a peculiar thing. They are just bread muffins, but they taste fantastic. Muffins in England, rather strangely, taste completely different. I have never found a muffin in England that tastes like an English muffin.
The pancakes are gorgeous too. They are so light and fluffy. There are strawberry, blueberry, butter pecan and old fashioned pancake syrups at every table for you to drizzle onto the pancakes. I opted for the old fashioned pancake syrup on mine (which tastes just like maple syrup to me) and my wife opted for a mix of strawberry and blueberry. I made an assertion a while back that the pancakes served in a mock 50's American diner in London's Soho were just as good as these. I was wrong. These are better by quite some margin.
My wife also polished off a large part of her breakfast and declared it uniformly excellent.
The IHOP we visited was very busy, but the service was friendly and efficient. IHOP definately lives up to it's strapline of "Come hungry, leave happy". The particular IHOP we visited was on North Dean Street in Englewood, N.J. if ayone knows it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home