Monday, December 11, 2006

Jones Soda Dessert Pack

This years Jones Soda Holiday pack is thankfully just a collection of desserts rather than the usual gross-out flavours. This pack is exclusive to Target and caused a great deal of excitement in me when I saw it, and made my Wife tut, sigh and wheel the trolley off towards womens clothes.The box looks great. It's got an old 50's stove vibe about it. There's hobs and knobs on the top and a collection of recipes on the side along with some information about how a percentage of profits from the sale of this collection of sodas will go towards St. Jude Childrens Research Hospital. I'm always keen to alleviate my consumer conscience, so the charity angle is very welcome.
The flavours in the box are banana cream pie, blueberry pie, cherry pie, key lime pie and the all-American apple pie. I'll start with the banana cream pie. It had a nice natural smell and a creamy banana flavour. There was also a vague pastry aftertaste. A very impressive start.

Things went downhill though when I cracked open the blueberry pie. It tasted very grape-like to me. It also reminded me of the cough mixture that I was force fed as a child. The dredging up of traumatic childhood memories meant that this bottle had it's cap back on in a flash and was tossed in the (recycle) bin.The cherry pie had a very artificial flavour that was very bright and sweet. If you made a pie out of cherry twizzlers, this is what it would taste like. Twizzler pie? Now theres an idea.
Key lime pie was a return to more natural tasting flavours. The lime tasted good and wasn't to strong or sharp and there was just an underlying hint of coconut.
I would like to point out that I didn't just sit down and drink five sodas in a row. Even I don't have that kind of tolerance. I purchased it early in my trip and picked at them over a period of about a week. So, towards the end of the trip, I finished off with the apple pie flavour. Again it was very natural tasting and there was a strong cinnamon tang to the whole bottle. It also had the same pastry aftertaste as the banana cream pie.
I adored the whole set, from the box design to the disgusting blueberry pie soda. This is the kind of thing I love to blog about.

2 Comments:

At 4:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought the Jones Soda's Holiday Packs this year were all pretty decent tasting. There was no real nasty tasting flavors.

I thought the Pea Flavored Soda in the Holiday pack would be awful, but, it really wasn't too bad. It was pretty sweet. And as far as the Dessert Pack goes, all those flavors were good.

I was more impressed last year because the sodas were more disgusting, and it made for a better video. haha..

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger Scott said...

Greg, check today's post. I'd saved a Holiday Pack f0r 2005. You're right too, it was disgusting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home