Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Ripley's Believe It Or Not Museum, Copenhagen

I went to Copenhagen, Denmark for a long weekend. I've got a few posts about my trip planned but I'll kick things off with the fabulous Ripley's Believe It Or Not! museum. I've always been intrigued by Ripley's world after someone gave me a Believe It Or Not! annual when I was a kid. I was fascinated by the odd stories and facts inside, and as soon as I saw this place, I had to go in.
There are numerous exhibits but the ones that really caught my eye are, untypically, the more grisly ones.
This is a genuine shrunken head. Yeah, yeah we've all seen shrunken heads in the movies, but this one was real. It also rotated in the display case. There was a card describing how shrunken heads were made and how this one was decorated for some ritual or another (the stuff dangling from the mouth), but could never take my eyes off it as it rotated long enough to really read it. I do recall it being described as "rare". You'd hope so.

The box above really caught my eye. It's a vampire killing kit circa 1850. People were so convinced that vampires existed that they used to lug one of these packs around with them just in case they happened on one of the children of the night. Unfortunately there no replica sets to be had from the gift shop.
On the right we have a genuine Papaun cannibal skull. Thankfully, this is another exhibit described as "rare". Apparently these trophy skulls were worn as amulets by head hunting warriors in New Guineu. After all that grossness it was quite a relief to see a model bust of Three-Ball Charlie. A man who could fit three pool balls in his mouth. Impressive.
Needless to say, if you are ever in Copenhagen check this place out it's awesome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home