Thursday, December 14, 2006

Samuel Adams Winter Classics

As some of you may know from previous posts, I quite like Samuel Adams beer and I found this collection of Winter Classics irresistable. Inside each box are 2 bottles each of; bog standard Sam Adams, Holiday Porter, Cranberry Lambic, Black Lager, Old Fezziwig Ale and Winter Lager. I'll dispense with the standard Sam Adams and move straight onto the Holiday Porter.
Allegedly brewed to a recipe that dates back to the porters of
Victorian London (or some such, I read it on the label but didn't note it down) the beer has a complex malt flavour. Personally I thought it tasted just like a sweeter version of Sam Adams.
The Cranberry Lambic was very fruity and had a nice refreshing taste. I was quite impressed. There is a distinct taste of cranberries in there. The only thing is, I always feel kind of weird drinking fruity beers. It seems unmasculine somehow, like I'd just sunk a Malibu and pineapple or something. Nice beer, but I probably wouldn't drink it in public.
The Black Lager had me quite intrigued. Alot of people drink stout in England which is black and I wondered if this was a take on that. It turned out it was not. It was, in fact, a very dark and strong lager with a coffee aftertaste. This was easily my favourite from the collection despite having the least obvious tie to winter.
The label on the Old Fezziwig Ale says that it has been brewed with spices, caramel and orange peel. I could taste the orange and the spices in the brew and It had a definate sweetness to it. I'm also impressed with the use of a lesser literary character for the name of the beer. Nobody throws a Christmas party like Old Fezziwig.
The last bottle, the Winter Lager, is one that I'd had on previous trips to the States and I think my familiarity coupled with some rather more outrageous and distinctive flavours left me thinking this one was rather bland.
All in all this is a great box of beers and I'd be more than happy if Santa left this under the tree for me.

1 Comments:

At 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Porter you drank was the equivalent to 'stout' Guiness etc is Porter

 

Post a Comment

<< Home